Given that your garage is subject to so much use, it’s a common complaint among homeowners that they don’t like the way their garage floor looks. If this is you, perhaps you’ve considered painting your garage floor. It seems like a quick and easy way to improve your garage floor’s appearance, and garage floor paint is pretty cheap, especially compared to other garage floor coating options. But is it a good idea to try painting your garage floor or is it more of a money-suck than anything else?
Here’s what you need to know about garage floor paint and whether or not painting your garage floor is a good idea.
The Benefits Of Painting Your Garage Floor
There are many reasons why people consider painting your garage floor a good idea. Garage floor paint can take that stained, dull floor and give it a fresh, brighter finish that can breathe new life into your garage and make it easier to clean and maintain. Here are some of the benefits of painting your garage floor.
- It helps to keep your garage clean. Garages seem to accumulate dust, and this isn’t just because of their exposure to the outside world. Dust breaks off of concrete every time that you walk on it, hence why garages get so dirty so quickly. Painting your garage floor helps mitigate this issue by putting a coating on your garage floor’s surface.
- It’s easier to clean than bare concrete. Because garage floor paint helps to keep the dust under control, it makes it easier to keep your garage clean.
- It improves the appearance of your garage floor. Painting your garage floor helps it look better, especially since there are so many different colors for you to choose from.
- It’s cheap. Unlike other garage floor coating options, garage floor paint is comparatively cheap, and you can get it from your local hardware store.
The Disadvantages Of Painting Your Garage Floor
You came here because you want to know whether or not painting your garage floor is a good idea, not just to have the benefits of garage floor paint rattled off to you. The same as everything else, there are disadvantages to painting your garage floor. While it can be a good idea for you if you don’t mind all the time and effort and money that goes into maintaining a painted garage floor, the cons may outweigh the benefits for you.
Here are some of the disadvantages of painting your garage floor.
- It looks cheap. Garage floor paint can look good initially, provided that you prepped the floor correctly and applied it right. However, it starts losing its shine within days and quickly starts to chip and wear out and show tire stains.
- It wears off. While garage floor paint may be cheap upfront, the truth is that it wears off fairly quickly. You don’t paint the floors in your house because they would end up chipping and flaking with all that traffic, right? So, why would your garage floor, that sees so much daily traffic, be any different?
- It adds up over time. $50 or $70 or so initially may seem like a steal in order to improve the look of your garage floors. However, given how quickly garage floor paint can wear off, you’ll need to keep reapplying it in order to ensure that your garage floor looks good. That very quickly adds up over time until you’ve ended up spending thousands of dollars over the years in trying to keep your garage pretty and clean.
- It’s difficult to apply. Many people don’t realize that painting your garage floors is no simple task. There’s a lot that goes into painting your garage floors, from patching up any holes to sanding the floor to trying to get an even coat of paint to sealing it… It’s a pain to paint your garage floor, and if it’s something that you’ll need to do regularly? That can greatly impact whether or not painting your garage floor is a good idea for you.
Should You Paint Your Garage Floor?
If you decide it’s worth it, then you certainly can paint your garage floor. Hiring a professional painter who specializes in painting garage floors can help ensure that you get a smooth, even coating. However, if you want a floor coating that will last, you’re better off with other garage floor coating options. Solid Custom Floor Coatings provides garage floor coatings that can be applied in one day and last you a lifetime. Contact us today to learn more!