Home improvements can be quite costly, and as such, it’s important to ensure that you’re making a good investment. While epoxy floor coatings are beautiful, one may wonder whether or not they’re a bad investment. You don’t want to spend the money on a floor coating only to end up having to replace it sooner or later or to get little to no ROI.
Epoxy floor coatings can greatly improve your home. Here’s what you need to know about them so that you can determine whether or not they’re a good investment for you.
How Much Do Epoxy Floor Coatings Cost?
There are quite a few factors that impact the cost of an epoxy floor. On average, epoxy coatings range from $3 to $12 per square foot. The price is influenced by the following factors:
- The quality of the materials. Higher quality epoxy costs more.
- The size of the space. The bigger the surface area, the more you’ll pay.
- The amount of prep work needed. If your concrete needs work in order to repair it and get it ready for application, this affects the price.
- Labor and installation fees.
Professional floor coatings naturally cost more than DIY epoxy coatings. While it may be tempting to go for the cheaper option, remember that you get what you pay for. In order to ensure that your investment pays off, it’s best to opt for professional installation.
When looking at prices, be careful to ensure that labor and installation costs are included in the quote. You don’t want to be quoted one price and then be shocked by the actual cost.
How Can Epoxy Floor Coatings Improve Your Home?
When considering whether or not something is worth the investment, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons. What is fine for one person could be a dealbreaker for someone else. You’ll want to determine whether or not the pros outweigh the cons for you and whether or not the cons are something that you can deal with.
Epoxy floor coatings have grown exponentially in popularity due to their many benefits. Some of the ways that an epoxy floor coating can improve your home are as follows:
- Increased property value. Epoxy coatings enhance the aesthetics, safety, strength, and durability of your home. As such, they can also increase the value of your home.
- Customizable beauty. Epoxy floors are beautiful, plain and simple. They’re very customizable. You can opt for simple neutral colors or go for a marble, glitter, or metallic look.
- Durability. Epoxy floors are strong and keep your floors protected from potential damages.
- Easy maintenance. Since epoxy floors protect your floors from damage, they prevent expensive repairs. They’re also easy to clean.
As you can see, epoxy coatings can improve your home in multiple ways. If you’re looking to sell in the near future, they can also boost your property value.
What Are The Downsides To Epoxy Coatings?
As we mentioned before, there are indeed cons to epoxy coatings. In order to determine if the investment is worth it to you or not, you’ll need to think carefully about them.
Some of the downsides of epoxy coatings are as follows:
- Yellowing. Epoxy turns yellow with extended exposure to UV rays.
- Time-consuming installation. It can take days to weeks for your epoxy floors to cure, which can interrupt your life.
- Slippery. If you don’t have a grit-additive mixed in, these floors get very slippery when wet, which can pose a safety hazard.
- Needs to be replaced. While epoxy is very strong and durable, you’ll need to have it replaced every 5 years or so.
- Hot-tire pickup. If you have an epoxy floor installed in your garage, it can stick to your tires when it’s hot out.
Are Epoxy Coatings A Bad Investment?
It’s up to you and what you’re looking for! Epoxy floors are very popular because many people love their benefits and don’t mind the cons so much.
However, if you’d like another flooring option with fewer cons, you can go for a polyaspartic floor coating. These are very similar to epoxy coatings, except they don’t turn yellow, they only take a day to cure, and they can last you up to 30 years with proper care.
Solid Custom Floor Coatings is here for all of your floor coating needs. To learn more about our floor coatings or to receive your free quote, please don’t hesitate to contact us today!
Leave a Reply